Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa (KAAIA) 2024
We’re now receiving applications for the second edition of the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa. If you’re a social entrepreneur with tech-driven solutions benefiting people in Africa, we want to hear from you. Apply now and let’s innovate together!
Here’s some great news! The Austrian Federal Chancellery, in collaboration with the Kofi Annan Foundation, is calling on startup entrepreneurs with a solid business model and a proven positive impact on society. If you’re ready to scale up and benefit communities across Africa, share your business plans with us! Let’s make a difference together.
Award Sponsor(s): Kofi Annan Foundation
Host Institution(s): The Austrian Federal Chancellery
Award Worth: Funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Social Entrepreneurs
Requirements and eligibility criteria for Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa (KAAIA) 2024:
- Your venture must be a for-profit legal entity and incorporated for a minimum of two years.
- The solution should be based in at least one African country.
- Applicants must have established contacts/presence in the country of implementation.
- The innovation must clearly address priority topics in the call for applications.
- The innovation should target more than 1 million people in the total addressable market.
- The solution must be at least at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage.
- A committed founding team with a minimum of three full-time employees is essential.
- Provide evidence of user/customer validation of the value proposition.
- Demonstrate a clear path to commercial viability and financial sustainability.
- Develop a potential plan for implementation within the 12-month Sprint program.
- Innovations should positively impact food security, employment, income generation, and/or climate resilience.
- Have a diverse, gender-balanced venture with leadership that supports gender equality.
- Prioritize ventures promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Ensure the entity adheres to environmental protection, climate change, and social inclusion.
- Focus of the 2nd edition: Emphasis on Sustainable Development Goal 2 Zero Hunger, supporting innovative and digital food security and agritech solutions in Africa.
- Open to African social entrepreneurs and purpose-driven enterprises with measurable social impact and sustainable business models.
Application Procedure for Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa (KAAIA) 2024 (How to apply);
- Complete the Application Form.
- If you know of a great venture or solution for us to consider, share it through our Referral Submission Form.
- We’ll review applications and select successful ones for a fully virtual WFP Innovation Bootcamp in February 2024. While we appreciate all submissions, we’ll only reach out to shortlisted applicants.
- If you’re interested but think your idea needs more polish, don’t worry! Send in your application, and we’ll include it in our pool of solutions, especially focusing on climate-resilient agriculture. Your solution might be invited for future programs.
- Make sure at least one team member is fluent in English, as the entire program is conducted in English. Join us on this exciting journey!
Application Deadline: February 8, 2024
For more information visit the official website