TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023
The TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme, a partnership between CSIR India and UNESCO-TWAS, is currently accepting applications. This program offers scholars from developing countries the chance to pursue a PhD and engage in research within the dynamic fields of science and technology. It’s an excellent opportunity for individuals to advance their academic journey and contribute to innovative scientific discoveries.
The TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowships offer opportunities for researchers to conduct their studies at CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India for up to four years. Applicants can either be already pursuing a PhD in their home country or enroll in a PhD program at an Indian university. Selected fellows will receive a monthly stipend from CSIR to cover their living expenses, including food and health insurance. It’s important to note that the stipend cannot be converted into foreign currency. Additionally, fellowship recipients are eligible for subsidized accommodation to support their stay during the program.
To find information about CSIR laboratories and institutes, you can visit the provided link: https://www.csir.res.in/about-us/csir-network-map. This will give you an overview of the various institutes under CSIR. Additionally, there is a list available for eligible institutes, which you can access through the provided link. For SANDWICH Fellowships, which are intended for individuals already registered for a PhD in their home country, the duration of the fellowship can range from a minimum of 6 months to a maximum determined by the host institute, not exceeding 3 years.
For FULL-TIME Fellowships, designed for those who are not yet registered for a PhD, the fellowship can be granted for a maximum duration of 4 years. This allows individuals to pursue their research studies and contribute to their chosen field. The fellowship program is available in two categories: SANDWICH Fellowships: Intended for individuals already registered for a PhD in their home country. The fellowship duration can range from a minimum of 6 months to a maximum determined by the host institute, not exceeding 3 years. And FULL-TIME Fellowships: Designed for those who are not yet registered for a PhD. The fellowship can be granted for a maximum duration of 4 years.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): TWAS-CSIR, India
Host Institution(s): CSIR research laboratories and institutes in India
Fellowship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: Developing countries
Requirements and eligibility criteria for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023:
- Maximum age limit: Applicants should be no older than 35 years as of December 31st in the application year.
- Nationality: Applicants must be citizens of a developing country, excluding India.
- Residency: Applicants should not hold any temporary or permanent residency visa in India or any developed country.
- Education: Applicants must possess a Master’s degree in science and technology.
Employment: Applicants must be currently employed in their home country with a research assignment.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: For PhD students, they must be registered in their home country and provide a “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from their home university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Applicants must be willing to register at an Indian university within the first year if agreed upon by CSIR.
- Acceptance at CSIR: Applicants must be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution.
- English Proficiency: If the medium of education was not English, applicants should provide evidence of proficiency in English.
- Return to Home Country: Applicants must demonstrate their intention to return to their home country upon completion of the fellowship.
- Exclusive Commitment: Applicants should not engage in other assignments during the fellowship period.
- Financial Responsibility: Applicants are responsible for the financial support of any accompanying family members.
- Language of Instruction: The language of instruction for foreign scholars in CSIR laboratories/institutes is English.
SEE ALSO: Ecobank Fintech Challenge 2023
Application Procedure for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023 (How to apply);
Interested applicant who wants to apply for TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023, must follow these steps:
- Obtain the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from their home university, signed by the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar. This certificate should be included in the application and copies must be sent to both CSIR and TWAS.
- Submit the acceptance letter from a CSIR institution to CSIR and TWAS during the application process or by the deadline at the latest. Without the preliminary acceptance letter, the application will not be considered
- Apply for the fellowship ONLY through the online portal provided by TWAS. After submitting the online application, a copy of the application must be sent to CSIR via email.
- It is important to note that applicants can only apply for one program per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolios. They are not eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs, except for the head of an institution that invites an external scholar to share their expertise.
- Applicants should carefully follow these guidelines to ensure their application is complete and eligible for consideration. Detailed instructions on using the online application form can be downloaded for reference.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2023
For more information visit the official website