UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) 2023 International Art Contest for Minority Artists
The application for the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) 2023 International Art Contest for Minority Artists is currently open. This contest is being organized in collaboration with Minority Rights Group International and Freemuse. It coincides with Zero Discrimination Day and the launch of Racial Justice Month, both observed globally on 1 March 2023. This event is part of OHCHR’s year-long celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The International Art Contest for Minority Artists held its first edition in 2022, highlighting the theme of statelessness. The winners and a catalog of their artwork can be found on the official website. Now, the contest is back with its second edition, focusing on celebrating minority artists who have used their artwork to shed light on intersectional forms of discrimination. Through their creative expressions, these artists have explored and addressed important issues. The contest aims to increase awareness about the human rights of individuals and groups belonging to minorities who face compounded forms of discrimination. The winners of the International Art Contest for Minority Artists will be announced in November 2023 during a hybrid ceremony held in Geneva. The ceremony will include a visual exhibition and the launch of a catalog featuring the awarded artists and their artwork. The Judging Panel will present four awards of $1,000 each, including a special Minority Youth Artist Award for artists aged between 18-35. The winners will be publicly announced in early November 2023, recognizing their talent and achievements.
The International Art Contest 2023 is not only a celebration of the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary of the Universal Declaration on Human Rights but also a collaborative effort by the OHCHR, Freemuse, and UNHCR to advance the rights of minority communities. This contest aims to address all forms of discrimination and promote the inclusion of minorities. The Second Edition specifically focuses on empowering individuals belonging to minority groups who are working on intersectionality themes. Through this contest, participants will gain awareness of their human rights and available procedures while shedding light on the need to combat intersectional discrimination and marginalization, including discriminatory laws and policies in various countries.
Requirements and eligibility criteria for UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) 2023 International Art Contest for Minority Artists:
- Minority artists are invited to submit up to five works of art related to intersectionality and intersectional forms of discrimination.
- Artists who self-identify as belonging to a minority are welcome to apply to the Minority Artists Awards on Intersectionality Themes. All artworks focusing on intersectional experiences by minorities as a theme are eligible, including but not limited to photography, painting, video, installation, drawing, sculpture, etc. Due to practical reasons, it is however required that a virtual presentation of the artwork(s) be submitted to OHCHR in a digital format.
- Artists must identify as members of a minority group, as defined by international human rights standards.
- Artists should be at least 18 years old.
- Artists must have a demonstrated passion for human rights and a commitment to promoting the rights of minority communities.
- The artwork should address themes related to the rights, struggles, or contributions of minority communities.
- Artists may submit original works of art in any medium, including paintings, drawings, sculptures, digital art, or installations.
- Artwork should be accompanied by a brief artist statement explaining the inspiration and message behind the piece.
Application Procedure for UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) 2023 International Art Contest for Minority Artists (How to apply);
Interested applicant who wants to apply for UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) 2023 International Art Contest for Minority Artists, should submit their entries within this timeframe and will send them through the designated submission platform.
Application Deadline: 15 May 2023.
For more information visit the official website