2022 Electric South XR Social Impact Grants for African XR creators
Electric South is pleased to invite emerging as well as accomplished African XR creators to apply for its XR Social Impact Grant which is fully funded. The aim of the grant is to give African creators access to skills, expertise, tools and networks to create a prototype or proof of concept using RT3D/XR technology, or to help finish an already existing project.
Eligibility for the 2022 Electric South XR Social Impact Grants for African XR creators:
- Applicants must be from an African country and based in Africa for the majority of the time, at least 6 months/year). The award welcome participants from across the African continent, and encourage applicants from identities that have been historically under supported or underrepresented within the fields of art and technology to apply, including those who are disabled, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and others.
- Applicants must be either well versed in a game engine (Unity or Unreal etc.) or technically proficient in similar real-time content creation, 3D modelling or animation software (for example Blender, Maya or Autodesk 3DS Max).
- Applicants must utilise RT3D/XR technology in a meaningful and impactful way.
- Applicants must be narrative or non-fiction, but all projects must be impact driven with measurable impact goals, calls to action and/or encompass themes of freedom of expression, social, healthcare, education, humanitarian, or environmental issues.
- Applicants should have examples of previous Electric South work with an impact lens include to demonstrate impact and not VR format as most of the works are 360 films.
Benefits of the 2022 Electric South XR Social Impact Grants for African XR creators:
- Applicants with seven extended reality projects (augmented or virtual reality) will be selected to receive $5,000 each in grant funds to develop their proof of concepts, or to complete projects already in progress. Artists will retain full ownership of all work that is produced.
- In addition, creators will participate in a few group sessions with experts, and will receive one-on-one technical support from specialists and advisors. All sessions will take place online from October 1 to November 25, 2022.
Timeline for the 2022 Electric South XR Social Impact Grants for African XR creators:
- Application deadline is Wednesday, 31 August, 2022. All successful applicants will be notified by Friday, 16 September, 2022.
- The online programme will run from October 1 to November 25, 2022. Final prototypes or projects will be due by 25 November, 2022.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2022.