2022 Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporting for Nigerian Journalists
Suitably qualified Nigerian Journalists who is not younger than 18 years of age and who have published stories either online, in print, or through electronic media, mainly aimed at and received by a Nigerian audience are invited to submit application for the 17th edition of the 2022 Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporting.
The Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporting was instituted by Wole Soyinka and first held in October 2005 to support the development of an investigative reporting culture in the Nigerian media. The award is hoped to bring further attention to Soyinka’s untiring and relentless support for the cause of freedom of expression. Aside that, the award rewards, promotes and encourages best practices in journalism works from the print, radio, television, photo, online, editorial cartoon broad categories as well as from other special categories which focus on themes ranging from regulatory failures, corruption in the public and corporate sectors, and human rights abuses in Nigeria.
Eligibility for the 2022 Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporting for Nigerian Journalists:
- Applicants must be a Nigerian professional reporter or team of reporters who is either full time or freelancer.
- Applicants must be 18 years and above at the time of application.
- Applicants must have published stories either online, in print, or through electronic media, mainly aimed at and received by a Nigerian audience.
- Applicants work must involve reporting on public, and or corporate corruption, human rights violation, or on the failure of regulatory agencies in Nigeria.
- Applicants should ensure their story reflect a high quality of investigation in terms of newsworthiness, capacity to expose or prevent clandestine activities, corruption in the public domain, an understanding of human rights.
- Applicants works should have been first published or broadcast in a Nigerian media between October 4, 2021 and October 3, 2022.
Method of Application for the 2022 Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporting for Nigerian Journalists:
Interested applicants should ensure their entries contain a brief synopsis of the story or series with not more than 400 words, picture, or portfolio. Applicants should also include the following below:
- Detailed background of the project, identifying the issues and key players
- Detailed description of what led to the topic or caption
- Description of challenges to the content of the story or series that were not reported in the original work
- Updated Curriculum Vitae for every reporter who bears the by-line of the story with passport photograph(s)
- Any relevant background information on submitted work(s)
Application Deadline: October 24, 2022.