2023 West African Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant Fellowship Program for African Scholars & Graduates
Suitably qualified African Scholars & Graduates are invited to submit application for the 2023 West African Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant Fellowship Program worth up to $1,500 and a stipend of $1,500.
The West African Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant Fellowship Program aims to promotes intra-African cooperation and exchange among researchers and institutions by providing support to African scholars and graduate students for research visits to other institutions and regions in the world. The Organization provides travel costs worth up to $1,500 and a stipend of $1,500 which may be used to attend and present papers at academic conferences held in Africa, visit libraries or archives located in Africa with resources necessary to the applicant’s academic work, engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another African institution and travel to a research site in Africa.
The West African Research Center (WARC) is the overseas research center for the United States-based West African Research Association (WARA). The research center is located in Dakar, Senegal and it is known to be the center for academic exchange between American and West African scholars that encourages research on the region of West Africa. Since its implementation in May 1993, it has grown both in terms of staff and influence as continues to connect researchers in the USA with researchers in the region of West Africa interested in common issues.
Eligibility for the 2023 West African Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant Fellowship Program for African Scholars & Graduates:
- Applicants must be African Scholars or Graduates.
- Applicants must be a citizen of a West African country.
- Applicants should be affiliated with a West African college, university, or research institution.
Application requirements for the 2023 West African Research Center (WARC) Travel Grant Fellowship Program for African Scholars & Graduates:
Interested applicants must provide the following below:
- Abstract (50 to 80 words) of proposed activity with a clear statement of purpose.
- Project/Research description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) including why travel is necessary (must be in language understandable to non-specialist readers)
- Proposed budget
- Curriculum vitae (with research and teaching record)
- Photocopy of the applicant’s passport
- All applications must be submitted online in PDF documents
- Recommendation letter.
- An abstract of the paper to be read and letter of acceptance to the conference if attending a conference.
- Invitation from host institution if visiting another institution.
- A description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research if travel is to consult archives or other materials.
- Letter of recommendation from professor overseeing applicants research if they are a graduate student.
For inquiries: Contact Mariane Yade, West African Research Center/Centre de Recherche Ouest Africaine via
Application Deadline: October 17, 2022.