NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship 2023 in South Africa
The Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship 2023 is being offered by the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) in South Africa to young South Africans below the age of 35. The scholarship is intended to support them in pursuing their higher studies during the 2023/2024 academic year, particularly if they are facing financial challenges.
The Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship provides full financial support for South African students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in priority growth sectors and critical, scarce skills areas identified in the country’s labor planning frameworks. The scholarship covers all costs associated with tuition, fees, and other related expenses. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to attend public universities or universities of technology located anywhere in South Africa.
The NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship in South Africa is named after Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu, a young anti-apartheid activist who was executed in 1979 at the age of 23. Mahlangu was a member of the African National Congress (ANC) and its armed wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe. He was involved in the 1976 Soweto uprising and was later arrested and charged with murder and terrorism. Despite international calls for clemency, he was sentenced to death and executed by hanging.
The scholarship is a tribute to Mahlangu’s bravery and sacrifice in the struggle against apartheid. It is aimed at providing financial support to young South Africans who face financial difficulties but aspire to pursue their academic goals and contribute to the country’s development. The scholarship is designed to help bridge the gap between the historical inequalities that have resulted from the apartheid and support youth development in South Africa.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): The National Youth Development Agency (NYDA)
Host Institution(s): Public Universities and Universities of Technology in South Africa
- Accommodation (thresholds apply)
- Study Books/equipment (thresholds apply)
Number of Awards: Several
Nationality: South African Students
Requirements and eligibility criteria for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship 2023 in South Africa:
To be eligible for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship 2023 in South Africa, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must apply for admission to one of the public universities as a 1st-year full-time student in a priority study.
- Applicants must be high school learners who plan to attend one of the public universities or universities of technology after completing the National Senior Certificate.
- Applicants must meet the University Admission Points Score (APS) and achieve an average of 70% in the NSC exams.
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- Applicants must be under the age of 35 years.
- Applicants must have financial neediness such as a combined household income of less than R15 000 a month.
- Applicants must reside in rural/semi-rural areas/townships.
Application Procedure for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship 2023 in South Africa (How to apply);
An interested applicant who wants to apply for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship 2023 in South Africa, should submit an application online through the NYDA website or send a printed, completed form to the address specified in the Applications section. Faxing or direct submissions to universities or NYDA offices will not be accepted.
Application Deadline: Ongoing
For more information visit the official website