World Trade Organization (WTO) Support (PhD Internship) Programme 2022/2023 for Doctoral Studies
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is pleased to invite suitably qualified Doctoral Studies to apply for its 2022/2023 Support (PhD Internship) Programme. The World Trade Organization Secretariat invites doctoral students from developing countries to conduct research at the WTO and provides them with mentoring/advice in close collaboration with the students’ academic supervisors. The programme aims to support the development of academic expertise on WTO issues in developing countries and will last for the period of 6 months.
Those who take part in the internship programme are expected to advance their doctoral thesis during their time at the World Trade Organization, taking advantage of access to WTO facilities and information as well as opportunities for interaction with the general trade policy community. Participants are not expected to undertake assignments on behalf of the WTO Secretariat. A mentor is allocated to the doctoral student for the duration of his/her internship. The mentor will be there to provide the student with advice, as required, in close collaboration with the student’s academic supervisors. Before the end of the PhD Internship Programme, the participant is required to give a seminar on his/her work.
Eligibility for the World Trade Organization (WTO) Support (PhD Internship) Programme 2022/2023 for Doctoral Studies:
- Applicants must be a national of a WTO member state or a country or customs territory involved in accession negotiations.
- Applicants must be from a least-developed country (LDC) or a developing country.
- Applicants must be ready to undertake a PhD or equivalent in economics, law, international relations or in a closely related WTO discipline.
- Applicants must be in the final stage of his/her PhD and therefore at the writing-up stage and at least 75% minimum completion of the thesis.
- Applicants must work in one of the three official languages of the WTO, that is English, French and Spanish.
Benefits of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Support (PhD Internship) Programme 2022/2023 for Doctoral Studies:
- Interns under the PhD Internship Programme will receive a daily allowance of CHF 60 including weekends and official holidays falling within the selected period. In addition, travel expenses (economy class air fare) to and from Geneva is covered by the Organization.
- Medical health insurance coverage is mandatory in Switzerland, and interns are responsible for organizing their own health insurance prior to commencing their internship at the Organization.
Method of Application for the World Trade Organization (WTO) Support (PhD Internship) Programme 2022/2023 for Doctoral Studies:
Interested applicants who wish to participate in the WTO Support Programme for Doctoral Studies are required to fill out the application form and submit the necessary documents.
Application Deadline: Ongoing