2022 Gatefield Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship for Nigerian Journalists
Suitably qualified Nigerian Journalists are invited to submit application for the 2022 Gatefield Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship which is aimed to support 10 reporters and investigative journalists to gain the skills necessary to analyze and report on crucial health issues and provide relevant facts to the public, towards the greater goal of improving health outcomes in the country.
The fellowship is an initiative of Gatefield Impact, a recipient of the Healthy Food Advocacy Fund. The 2022 journalism grant seeks to specifically provide support for reporters to produce high-quality, unbiased human angle, scientific, and investigative stories focused on the impact of sugar-sweetened beverages(SSBs) on health and economy in Nigeria based on the following points:
- The health harms of SSBs and its link to non communicable diseases (NCDs).
- The economic benefits of taxation towards reducing SSBs consumption.
- Other healthy food policies to reduce SSBs consumption and tackle NCDs.
Programme Components of the 2022 Gatefield Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship for Nigerian Journalists:
The program comes in four main components which are:
- Training workshop on journalistic practices and tools, including developing investigative reporting skills
- Professional mentoring from experts in public health, media and investigative journalism
- Independent work on a project to create a long-form feature piece
- Participation in periodic editorial discussions
Eligibility for the 2022 Gatefield Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship for Nigerian Journalists:
- Applicants must be staff reporters and freelance journalists working in a recognized media organization with track record of accurate, fair and responsible journalism.
- Applicants must be journalists with at least two years of experience working as a journalist and demonstrate strong writing skills.
- Consideration will be given to journalists whose work show an interest in health, public policy, and the economy.
Benefits of the 2022 Gatefield Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship for Nigerian Journalists:
The fellowship program will last for the duration of 6 months where selected fellows will create feature and editorial pieces on the SSB tax and policies. Story themes may center on diseases related to the consumption of SSBs, the costs of treatment, the economic impact of SSB consumption among Nigerian households or other topics of this nature.
- Selected journalists into the Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship will receive a grant of $1000 each to support logistics required to participate in fellowship activities including the production of at least one long-form feature piece each over the period of 6 months. Feature pieces can be produced for online, print, or broadcast media.
- The grant gives selected journalists the opportunity to learn from a seasoned investigative reporter, who will act as a sounding board for ideas, during a training session organized for successful applicants.
Method of Application for the 2022 Gatefield Pro-Health Policy Journalism Fellowship for Nigerian Journalists:
Interested applicants should click HERE to apply
Application Deadline: August 22, 2022.