Engineering for Development (ETH4D) Doctoral Mentorship Programme at ETH Zurich in Switzerland
ETH Zurich in Switzerland is pleased to welcome suitably qualified candidates who are looking to pursue a mentorship programme at the institution to apply for the Engineering for Development (ETH4D) Doctoral Mentorship Programme that is fully funded throughout the mentorship period.
The Engineering for Development (ETH4D) Doctoral Mentorship Programme provides grants for mentoring doctoral candidates from low and lower-middle income countries. The mentorship programme is a one-year appointment and comprises the following components below:
- Mentorship from one ETH professor, senior scientist or postdoc over a period of one year of the mentee’s doctoral studies.
- Research stay at the mentor’s research group (ETH Zurich, Switzerland) for 1 to 3 months during the mentorship period.
- Financial support for attending a conference and/or research material.
ETH Zurich is a public research university in the city of Zürich, Switzerland. The university was established in in 1854 with over 24,000 students. The university’s mission is to educate engineers and scientists with its main focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Eligibility for the Engineering for Development (ETH4D) Doctoral Mentorship Programme at ETH Zurich in Switzerland:
- Applicants must be doctoral candidates who are registered at a university or research institute in a least developed country according to the list of eligible countries.
- Applicants must ensure their application is submitted by the ETH professorship hosting them.
Benefits of the Engineering for Development (ETH4D) Doctoral Mentorship Programme at ETH Zurich in Switzerland:
- Economy round trip ticket (maximum 2 kCHF) to and from Switzerland for the research stay
- Visa fees
- Travel allowance to attend an academic conference
- Research material (e.g. lab equipment) (maximum 6 kCHF in total).
- Fees for health insurance
- Local transportation
- Living allowance for the duration of the research stay at ETH Zurich
Method of Application for the Engineering for Development (ETH4D) Doctoral Mentorship Programme at ETH Zurich in Switzerland:
Interested applicants must ensure the required documents below are submitted by the ETH professorship hosting them:
- Budget (Download template)
- Project description
- Motivation letter of the doctoral candidate
- Most recent university transcripts
- CV of doctoral candidate
- Two academic reference letters
- Doctoral project proposal (if available)
- Support letter of the hosting ETH professor, including any financial and in-kind contributions (in case the mentor is a senior scientist or postdoc, both, the mentor and their professor has to sign the support letter)
Application Deadline: October 31, 2022.