Obama Foundation Freedom Summer Grant Program 2023
The Obama Foundation’s My Brother’s Keeper Alliance has launched Freedom Summer 2023, an initiative with a $1 million grant program. Its primary goal is to support local organizations in Chicago that are dedicated to reducing violence in communities during the summer season. The focus is on creating and expanding safe spaces and programs where boys and young men of color can learn, play, and actively participate.
Freedom Summer, aligned with the sixth milestone of the MBK Alliance, strives to ensure the safety of all young people from violent crime. Studies conducted by the University of Chicago’s Crime Lab reveal that violent crime rates in Chicago reach their peak during the hot summer months. Shockingly, there are approximately twice as many shootings on days when the temperature exceeds 85 degrees compared to days below 50 degrees.
To combat this issue, Freedom Summer aims to provide valuable support to local organizations in their efforts to engage young people and contribute to a decrease in violence during the summer. Each chosen recipient of the Freedom Summer award will be granted $30,000. This financial assistance empowers these organizations to implement meaningful initiatives and programs that create safe environments, foster positive experiences, and reduce the occurrence of violent incidents among youth.
Requirements and eligibility criteria for Obama Foundation Freedom Summer Grant Program 2023:
- Eligible Freedom Summer applicants must be a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization or a sponsored project of a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor with a valid sponsorship agreement in place.
- The MBK Alliance is looking to support projects that will have a potentially lifesaving impact on boys and young men of color this summer.
- Freedom Summer applications will be evaluated based on whether or not the eligible applicant’s project proposal aligns with the mission of Freedom Summer.
- Project proposals should be able to measure their projected impact on boys and young men of color and focus on executing creative ways to keep youth engaged and safe this summer.
- Applicants should be available to participate in the program during the designated period. This may involve attending training sessions, workshops, or community organizing activities.
- Applicants are usually required to submit a well-defined project proposal that aligns with the goals and values of the Obama Foundation. The proposal should address a specific issue or challenge within the community and outline a plan for creating positive change.
Application Procedure for Obama Foundation Freedom Summer Grant Program 2023 (How to apply);
Interested applicant who wants to apply for Obama Foundation Freedom Summer Grant Program 2023, must register online and make provision for the documents below;
- Proof of 501(c)(3) status or partnership agreement
- A short narrative describing the proposed project that meets the mission of Freedom Summer
- An explanation of how the project will impact the lives of boys and young men of color and how the organization will measure success
- A signed letter of support (from CEO or Senior Executive) that details an overview of the programming that the funds will cover and describes any relationships or partnerships that will support the effort
- A simple budget indicating expected expenses
- Age group to be supported by the application
- The neighborhood or community the project will serve
Application Deadline: May 8, 2023
For more information visit the official website